Senior UX Designer
Do you want the chance to solve some of the biggest problems affecting society? Do you have a passion for tech for good? Do you want to join our growing social enterprise? We have an exciting opportunity in our Design Team for a Senior UX Designer, helping amplify Reason Digital’s impact on society and our people.
Do you want the chance to solve some of the biggest problems affecting society? Do you have a passion for tech for good? Do you want to join our growing social enterprise?
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about design and research for social impact.
You’ll help charities and third-sector organisations understand their users, and then conceive and build digital services and products to meet their needs.
Salary: £29,000 – £45,000
Remote-first or Hybrid, with access to our Manchester office if desired.
What you will work on
Your key aim is to support the Realisation Team with UX Design activities. You will be responsible for
- Direct research, design and facilitation work on our projects and products
- Continuous development of our tools, process and culture
- Facilitation of internal & external workshops and Sprints
- Build and nurture direct relationships on each project
Who is the ideal Candidate?
Socially conscious: Motivated to apply their skills and knowledge to the causes we work with
Creative: able to make connections, generate new ideas and approaches and encourage others to create.
Proud of your craft: consistently able to produce great quality work
Relishes the nature of agency work: enjoys taking ownership, working at a fast pace in uncertain situations.
Communicative: driven and passionate about telling compelling stories with high quality short and long-form written content.
Adaptive: Has experience of working in and adapting to a niche market (ideally pro-social work).
Organised: able to prioritise, multi-task and work to your own initiative.
Research & Design
- UX methods and practice, conducting sprints, facilitating workshop, and producing prototypes for research and communication
- Experience in user research – ideally qualitative
- Web Design, App Design, Service Design
- A specialism such as content design, user research, accessibility or visual design
- Works with prototyping tools such as Figma or Sketch, and accustomed with picking up new tools.
- Communicating and working well with our clients
- Delivering interactive and engaging client workshops
- Supporting clients to understand the importance of human-centred UX practice
(Not your average) Agency
- Ideally you’re used to an agency environment (or a comparable environment).
- Working in the charity sector brings all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings, but it can also bring tighter-than-average budget constraints. We’d love someone who’s not afraid to take on a challenge; delivering great work within those constraints.
Tech for Good
- We’re always looking for someone who is motivated by design for social change, but as fired up as you may be, experience isn’t always easy to get. So if this is your bag, but you’re yet to get into it – we still want to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone who meets our values:
Gives out Good Energy – Someone who brings the best out of any team they are in (including the client).
Takes Pride in their Craft – Someone who produces work to the best of their ability, and actively seeks to improve the work they do.
Sees the bigger picture – Someone who understands who Reason Digital are and how we can make biggest human impact possible.
Unafraid to challenge – Someone who pushes boundaries and participates in difficult conversations.
Down to earth – Someone who is honest, authentic & dependable.
What success looks like for this role
- When our research insights change the outcomes of a project we’re working on.
- When our methodology is inclusive and involves experts in lived experience
- When our designs are accessible.
- When we’ve designed in a way that allows our clients to keep making high-quality and impactful experiences after we’ve completed our development.
- …and ultimately, when our work makes a social impact. When we’ve managed to improve lives, in small and large ways.
What we’re working on right now…
This is an exciting and varied role, with no two days the same. Below gives you a flavour of some of the stuff we’ve worked on, and what you could expect to be doing.
- Spreading the stories of the great work we do (like Is This OK? and Refuge) through case studies that involve direct communication with our clients.
- Running networking events such as a Charity Comms pre-event dinner for existing and new clients.
- Leading and collaborating on comms and PR plans for multiple website releases
Some of the causes we’re working with…
Exclusively working with prosocial clients means we get to know and support some incredible causes. Below gives you some insight into what your work could be contributing to.
- Blind Veterans UK: An essential charity that has worked for over 100 years to empower ex-servicemen and women to live full lives after experiencing sight loss.
- Refuge: A charity paving the way for the survivors of domestic abuse. An essential safe place for women in crisis, as well as a long-term support system. We were fortunate enough to support them in turning their website into a trusted place and a digital shelter that saves and changes lives.
- Trussell Trust: This awesome charity runs a network of over 440 local food banks in the UK. At the moment, the demand for foodbanks is growing at an unprecedented rate. We worked on an effective charity website and a method for creating and managing local foodbank sites.
Our bright and airy office is right in the heart of Manchester’s Northern Quarter within easy walking distance of all major train, tram and bus stations. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and give you the choice to work on either a Mac or a PC.
There are other great benefits you will have access to such as:
- Flexible working hours
- 9 day fortnight scheme available
- Flexible working (home/office based)
- 28 days holiday and the ability to purchase up to 5 more days through a salary sacrifice scheme
- Paid sick, emergency, and compassionate leave
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme and other salary sacrifice schemes providing tax efficient ways to pay for parking, gym memberships and more…
- Paid volunteering leave
- Childcare vouchers
- Eye care vouchers
- Access to training, materials, and the ability to attend conferences and networking events where relevant
- A staff Perkbox package offering free mobile phone insurance and money off high street and online shopping, technology, motoring, travel, food, experiences and popular attractions
You will get involved in working on a diverse range of interesting projects working with charities and other organisations to deliver social good, in an environment where your ideas will be heard and you will have input into key decisions, contracts and policies.